Saturday 5 September 2009

Things Are Looking Up...


I made the Basic Sandwich Bread from Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts. It turned out amazing (on my first try!) and I'm hopeful that I will have good gluten-free bread that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

At the start of the cookbook she gives you tips and tricks to help make your attempts successful - and she doesn't just give you recipes, she tells you why the different flours are necessary and what they do for the taste/texture/etc. so that you can, with experimentation, adapt your favorite recipes to be gluten-free.

Personally, I'm going to attempt to make my Grandma Gross' Peanut Butter Cookies and her Sand Tarts. Come Christmas I will miss the Sand Tarts. If/when I do figure out the adaptations I'll post both the original and the adapted versions here.

I'll definitely be trying more from this cookbook, and will let you know how it goes - but honestly, if I only ever make the bread recipe I will still consider this cookbook money well spent.

4 comments:

Louiz said...

Looks like an interesting cookery book. Himself's dad is gluten intolerant.

Heather said...

Do you like that book? I may have to pick that one up on my next trip to the bookstore.

Thanks for sharing, the bread looks AMAZING

Hofacre HEN House Blogs said...

I am looking forward to your recipe for the cookies. My nephew was diagnosed this year and I have been trying different things, no success yet. Had not heard of this book.

BC said...

Hey, I'm so glad you picked up the book. It has good basic recipes with ingredients you can easily find. Well done sis.